Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Do You Wear A Masonic Ring?

I was never a big fan of jewelery, well....except for those earrings I wore back in the 90's, that was the style back then. I remember when my wife and I just got engaged, I told her that I probably would never wear my wedding ring because I had never wore a ring and also I worked with my hands and the ring could get caught in whatever machinery I use daily (ha ha). As you can imagine that did not go over quite well with the misses and after the first week of playing around with it on my finger after the wedding, I got quite used to it and find my poor excuses quite funny now looking back.
Well the earrings are now gone and now I wear a ring on each hand, my wedding band and my masonic ring. After I became a Master Mason I spent endless hours perusing E-Bay and the Web looking for that perfect masonic ring to show my membership in the oldest fraternity in the world. I ended up with two, one that I wear everyday to work that is very simple and a more opulent one for evenings and lodge. My wife made a quip the first time I wore my fancy one about how she remembers me fighting not to wear a ring and now I own three! (sweet redemption for her) Although it took me a bit more time to get used to my masonic ring because it is on my right hand and I am a righty, it too has become a fixture of my wardrobe. I was so excited to wear it after my raising and continue to wear it because it is still one of the best advertisements for our fraternity other than me, myself. Although my masonic ring hardly gets noticed by any one, when it does, I light up and can espouse the benefits and glory of our great institution.
Now here is my question. I have run into many brothers when not in lodge and have seen them without the rings they wear to lodge. Why is this so?

9 comments:

Jim said...

I'm not yet a Master Mason, having just been passed to Fellow Craft last week. Our lodge (as is probably true among others, I presume) told me that I cannot wear or display any Masonic jewelry or emblems until I am raised as a Master Mason. I can purchase all the stuff I want, I just cannot wear or display it. That being said, I'll certainly be purchasing a reing to wear because to me, it's a symbol of my achievement and a reminder of what I have learned as a Mason. It's something that I'm sure I'll be very proud of.

Wayfaring Man said...

I just don't like rings. But I wear a Masonic tie tack every day to work, and I have a Masonic device on my car. I'm proud of my affiliation, and to some degree, I hope that it will induce a like-minded fellow, estotericly inclined to ask me about joining up. So although I answered your poll "NO" it wasn't because I am ashamed of the craft in any way.

I'd value you input on the Masonic polls in this space: http://audevidetace.blogspot.com/2007/10/we-get-goldmine-she-gets-fez.html

M.M.M. from the North Eastern Corner said...

I have to admit between my second and third degrees I went on a masonic spending spree. Pins, auto emblems, rings, and books. I put on my pin, that I still wear, right after my Master Mason Degree (that night).

Brian Cosker said...

I always found it interesting that some brothers wear their ring facing out and some with the compass's facing in. Those that wear it in do it tO remind themselves of the light they received. Those that wear it out want the world to know who they are. To help with your question... The reason some do not wear their rings outside of lodge probably does not mean any disrespect to Masonry. Sadly, there are some that do not agree with Masonry and from a business perspective it may make more sense for some to keep that part of there life separate from work. Family First, Work Second, Lodge Third... Hope this helps. WM Cosker CT

Michael B. Dodge said...

I only wear my ring to lodge, the reason being that at one time I destroyed the band on my masonic ring when my finger got accidentally smooshed. My finger was okay but the band broke. I had it fixed but all the original engraving I had done on the inside of the band was lost, and it cost a pretty penny. I decided I didn't want to risk going through that again, so I only wear my ring to lodge.

Marshal Drake said...

I don't think I could ever wear a ring that big. I am proud to be a full pledge engineer but wearing that ring may only hinder my hands while working.
handmade silver rings

Stew said...

Brian Cosker, thanks for answering the same question I got in mind, and answering for myself too. I only use spinner rings now because that's what put food on the table, but the Masonic ring will always have that special place when I go to lodge.

Unknown said...

@ Brian: I have heard some Brothers that wear their ring "facing in" say that they do so because to remind them of their time at altar, when the Square and Compasses were first introduced to them. I wear mine "facing out" as reminder that I am obligated to dispense whatever Light I might be graced with, and to recall also that I, as a Mason, "project" the moral and social principles of The Craft into the world - that I seek to be the "shining city on a hill" of Matthew 5:14

S&F

Bro Anthony Mongelli, Jr.
http://www.theblazingstart.blogspot.com

Darin said...

I wear mine to Lodge because thats when I remember to put it back on. I take mine off to workout and usually forget to put it back on.